National EMS Information System, Technical Assistance Center - Salt Lake City, UT
In this section you will find a variety of articles and publications related to NEMSIS and EMS data collection.
Most of these articles require the FREE Adobe Acrobat Reader®, if you do not have a copy of Reader on your machine, you can download a free version by visiting adobe.com.)
- Link to current list of peer-reviewed publications using NEMSIS data
- Safety 1N NUM3ERS: EMS Data IS Important, NHTSA.gov and EMS.gov (May 2014) (pdf)
- Delivering on the Data: More than 10 years in, where does NEMSIS stand? Best Practices (2013)
- Electronic Medical Records: 21st Century EMS. EMSWorld (2012)
- Resuscitation Article: Out-of Hospital Airway Management in the United States (2011) (pdf)
- Resuscitation Editorial: Prehospital Intubation in Cardiac Arrest: The Debate Continues (2011) (pdf)
- NEMSIS Data - More is Better. Fire Chief Magazine (January 2011) (pdf)
- Evaluating State Capacity to Collect & Analyze EMS Data (2006) (pdf)
- NEMSIS History, v2 Dataset, & Benefits - from NHTSA (2006) (pdf)
- NHTSA's EMS Update Inaugural Issue (has a NEMSIS article) (2006) (pdf)
- NHTSA's EMS Update Summer Issue (has a NEMSIS article) (2006) (pdf)
- The Importance of Good Documentation (EMS Responder.com) (2007) (web-link)
- NASEMSO Extended Data Definitions Document (NEMSIS v2.2.1)
- Tri-fold describing the NEMSIS Project and Version 3 (2-2012) (pdf)
- Quad-fold describing both the NEMSIS Project and the NEMSIS TAC (2011) (pdf)
- NEMSIS Report Tools examples Brochure (5-2012) (pdf)
- The Portability of NEMSIS Data - Printable Diagram (2005) (pdf)
- General NEMSIS Fact Sheet (2005) (pdf)
- Design Fact Sheet (2004) (pdf)
- NHTSA as a "Public Health Authority". The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration published notification in The Federal Register to inform hospitals and other health care organizations of its status as a "public health authority" under the medical privacy requirements of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996.
- Georgia Department of Human Resources (2007) (pdf)
- Oregon, Portland City Attorney's Office (2007) (web-link)
- Memorandum of Understanding (pdf)
- Download the MOU supported by all 56 states and territories. Read more about the memorandum & the participating state
- Examples of Data Use Agreements (DUA) or Data Sharing Agreement
- NEMSIS v3 General Data Sharing Agreement Documents
- Template Covered Entity Univ of Utah NEMSIS v3 Data Sharing Agreement (Word) (12-2016)
- Appendix A NEMSIS Limited DataSet - National Elements Collected from the State (Word) (11-2016)
- Appendix B NEMSIS Disclosure of Limited DataSet (Word) (11-2016)
- General Documents related to Data Sharing and Submission to NEMSIS:
- A copy of a guide for using the NHTSA NEMSIS Version 2.2.1 dataset entitled "Data Entry Navigation Logic Document" as recommended by the EMS Performance Improvement Center (EMSPIC) is available for public use. The EMSPIC was an essential partner with the NEMSIS TAC for the development of the NEMSIS NHTSA Version 2.1.1 dataset, offering experience and best practice recommendations on the use and documentation of the dataset by EMS professionals. The EMSPIC provided this document as an example for software developers.
The navigation logic document describes how each of the NHTSA NEMSIS Version 2.2.1 data elements can be presented to an EMS software user in the most efficient way while improving data quality and validity.
The EMSPIC developed this document based on years of experience in developing EMS data entry tools and data analysis systems.
If you have any suggestions on how to make this document better, please forward them to Karen Jacobson at the NEMSIS TAC or Jeff Robertson at the EMSPIC for consideration. The EMSPIC maintains this document on the EMSPIC website (www.EMSPIC.org) for everyone’s use.
- A copy of the "State Traffic Safety Information System Improvement Grants" announcement from the Federal Register
- A compilation of current State and Territory laws or rules pertaining to the collection and protection of EMS data. This is a living document so changes and additions will be made on a continual basis
- State EMS Law or Rule Tracker (MS Word Doc)
(This document was last edited on 12/12/2006)
- The American College Of Emergency Physicians. The National Report Card on the State of Emergency Medicine, 2006.
- National Report Card on State of Emergency Medicine (pdf)
(The 2006 National Report Card on the State of Emergency Medicine states that the nation's emergency care system itself is ailing...)
- Lessons Learned from Model EMS Data Systems Document. This document was created by the National EMSC Data Analysis Resource Center (NEDARC) in response to a technical assistance request. The document provides information about what some states have learned during the course of developing an EMS data system.
- Lessons Learned Document (pdf)
- Mears, G., Dawson, D., & Ornato, J. (2002). Emergency Medical Services Information Systems and a Future EMS National Database. Prehospital Emergency Care, January/March 2002, Volume 6, Number 1, 123-30.