National EMS Information System, Technical Assistance Center - Salt Lake City, UT
The purpose of the change process is to define the process and timeline associated with the revision of the NHTSA 2.2.1 Dataset to the NHTSA Version 3.0 Dataset. This policy serves to provide stability and predictability within the EMS community with respect to data standards and software development.
The National EMS Information System Project (NEMSIS) has revised the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s (NHTSA) Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Dataset. The NHTSA Version 2.2.1 Dataset defines over 400 data elements which are important to the documentation and description of EMS systems and patient care. With any use of data at the EMS system or patient care level, the standard definitions, variables, and codes associated with each of the NHTSA Version 2.2.1 data elements is critical.
The NHTSA Version 2 XML standard defines how data is moved from one data system to another (imported or exported). Using the XML architecture and the XSD validation files, data can easily be moved:
- Between two EMS data systems
- Between the local EMS data system and the state EMS data system
- Between the state EMS data system and the national EMS database
The NHTSA Version 2.2.1 Uniform PreHospital Dataset will be revised to Version 3.0 in an orderly and consensus driven process beginning in 2008.
It is expected that the revision to the NHTSA Version 3.0 Uniform PreHospital Dataset will be completed in 2010.
Beginning at some point during the 2007 calendar year, the NHTSA Version 2.2.1 Uniform PreHospital Dataset and XML standard will be revised to Version 3.0. This process will be done through a consensus-based process with full involvement of the National EMS Organizations, which served on the NEMSIS Task Force during the Version 2.0 process, and through an extended period of public comment from the EMS community.
Changes to the dataset will be based on the following:
- Lessons Learned
- Through the development and implementation of EMS data systems based on the NHTSA Version 2.2.1 Data Standard
- Through the application of EMS data collected and applied through the NHTSA Version 2.2.1 Data Standard
- Operational Knowledge
- From Local, State, and National EMS Data Managers using the NHTSA Version 2.2.1 Data Standard
- From EMS Software Developers using the NHTSA Version 2.2.1 Data Standard
- System Knowledge
- From Local, State, and National EMS Providers and Administrators using the NHTSA Version 2.2.1 Data Standard
- Knowledge gained through the use of Local, State, and National EMS Data Systems
- Knowledge gained through ongoing EMS System, Educational, and Clinical Research using the NHTSA Version 2.2.1 Data Standard
- Current Technology and Informational Infrastructure related to EMS Data Systems.