National EMS Information System, Technical Assistance Center - Salt Lake City, UT
NEMSIS Version 2.2.1 Data Dictionary
The NEMSIS NHTSA Version 2.2.1 DataDictionary provides
over 400 definitions that
can be implemented by an EMS system.
National data elements are defined that should be collected for the National EMS Database, but additional data elements should be considered for use at the state and local levels depending on each state or local EMS system's need.
Windows: Simply right click on the links above and choose "save target as..." from the drop down menu.
Mac: Simply "control-click" on the links above and choose "download link to disk" from the drop down menu.
- NEMSIS_Data_Dictionary_v2.2.1.pdf Last modified 04/09/2012
- NEMSIS_Data_Dictionary_v2.2.1.doc Last modified 04/09/2012
- NEMSIS_Data_Elements_Definitions_v2.2.1.xls contains National Elements Only (xls)
- NEMSIS_Data_Dictionary v2.2.1 - National Elements Only (PDF) contains National Elements Only (pdf)
- Extended Data Definitions Document v2.2.1.doc
- View Changes to v2.2.1 procedures list (D04_04) last modified 1/29/2009
The Data Dictionary has over 400 elements split into two datasets. Information provided in the dictionary includes the following:
- Name of the data element
- Definition of the data element
- Data type of the data element (many data elements have comments provided to assist in the implementation of a database schema and the NHTSA Version 2 XML standard)
- How to deal with missing or incomplete information
- The variables associated with each data element
- Whether the data element is part of the data elements to be collected in the National EMS Database (NDB)
- Whether the data element is part of the medical record information (patient care report) or is a quality management data element to be used internally by the EMS system and protected by peer review.
- What reports are possible through the use of the data element
- Who is responsible for collecting the data element
- How the data element is related to other national data tools such as NHTSA Version 1, NFIRS, and Utstein.
Version 2.2.1 Data Entry Navigation Logic Document
- A copy of a guide for using the NHTSA NEMSIS Version 2.2.1 dataset entitled "Data Entry Navigation Logic Document" as recommended by the EMS Performance Improvement Center (EMSPIC) is available for public use. The EMSPIC was an essential partner with the NEMSIS TAC for the development of the NEMSIS NHTSA Version 2.1.1 dataset, offering experience and best practice recommendations on the use and documentation of the dataset by EMS professionals. The EMSPIC provided this document as an example for software developers.
The navigation logic document describes how each of the NHTSA NEMSIS Version 2.2.1 data elements can be presented to an EMS software user in the most efficient way while improving data quality and validity.
The EMSPIC developed this document based on years of experience in developing EMS data entry tools and data analysis systems.
If you have any suggestions on how to make this document better, please forward them to Karen Jacobson at the NEMSIS TAC or Jeff Robertson at the EMSPIC for consideration. The EMSPIC maintains this document on the EMSPIC website (www.EMSPIC.org) for everyone’s use.